Monday, January 8, 2007

Nervous Excitement

Well folks, this will probably be my last post before I leave for the big trip. I fly out tomorrow (Tuesday) around 1pm. I am a little nervous, but excited at the same time. I tend to be a bit of a nervous flyer, which has been something that has developed in more recent years.

I am at my mom and dad's right now, spending some time with them before I head back to Lubbock. It is always relaxing to be home and enjoy a little home cooked food! We're having homemade waffles for breakfast! Aren't you jealous?!

Just want to ask that you keep our trip in your prayers. We will be in some less stable parts of the world. Also please keep my family in your prayers. The past year, with mom's cancer, has been a challange to say the least. It will be hard to be away from her, and vice-versa for this long, considering what she has been through.

I do want to say a very special thank you to Connie Palmer. She is my friend Paige's mom, and lives in OKC. Connie has been such an encouragement to me lately with her beautiful, prayerful emails. They are powerful and a source of comfort to me. She is a woman of such faith, and I feel honored to have her taking my requests before the Lord. Wish you all could know her. Her daughter is really awesome too!!!

I'll get something posted in a few days, once I settle in. Thanks in advance for your prayers and encouragement. I know y'all have me covered!

4 comments:

Angie said...

WOW! The time has come!!!

Hey, I found a copy of the Traveler’s Prayer from Jewish tradition that I’d like to share with you. Traditionally, it is recited upon departure and repeated every day of the journey until arriving safely back home. (The translation I like is from Twelve Jewish Steps to Recovery):

"May it be Your will, Lord, My God and God of my ancestors, to lead me, to direct my steps, and to support me in peace. Lead me in life, tranquil and serene, until I arrive at where I am going. Deliver me from every enemy, ambush and hurt that I might encounter on the way and from all afflictions that visit and trouble the world. Bless the work of my hands. Let me receive divine grace and those loving acts of kindness and mercy in Your eyes and in the eyes of all those I encounter. Listen to the voice of my appeal, for you are a God who responds to prayerful supplication. Praised are you, Lord, who responds to prayer."

Inspired by the traveler’s prayer, I have paraphrased my prayers for your trip:

Oh God of our friendships, I lift up our Sarah for your protection during this fantastic adventure - traveling the world you created! From one destination to the next, I trust that you will have a hand in every mode of transportation, in the weather, in the chaos of a warring world, in her health and in all the details we have yet to consider.

Bless her with life-giving relationships with her traveling companions along the way and keep her from feeling alone in a crowd. Wake her each day with a reminder of your love. Make yourself known to her through the hours of the day. And give her invigorating rest each night. Shield her from temptations to dwell on missing loved ones or to be frustrated over things beyond her control.

And God of laughter, speak to Sarah through her sense of humor with funny things meant just for her! :-)

Good Father, I thank you in advance for the traveling mercies you will provide!!!

Sarah, I wish you clean restrooms, hot showers, unforgettable cups of coffee, the kindness of strangers, postcard-like vistas, high-speed internet access and lots of hugs!

Love from Angie

P.S. If none of these prayers brings you calm… Use a stiff drink to wash down your Dramamine and have sweet dreams, baby!

Lisa said...

Amen, Angie!!! And again I say, "AMEN!"

tim rush said...

My comment was going to be more along the lines of Angies P.S. Makes me feel kind of silly now.

Hope you have a great trip and we look forward to reading all about it.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

Well, sounds like a new world has begun! Hopefully you'll get your clock set sooner rather than later.

I loved your account and look forward to many more. I also loved the Jewish prayer from Angie. Like the other commentors, I would echo, "that's what I'm sayin'!" :>)
Blessings,
Renee