Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Day 64 - A Little Taste of Home

Today everyone else went to Disneyland Hong Kong, and I opted to stay behind. I took a nap, worked out, and ran to the mall. I had two particular missions. The first was that I was told there is a grocery store in the mall that has Multigrain Cheerios. WHAT!?! My mouth immediately began watering! That is my most favorite cereal, and quite possibly my favorite meal. I eat them every morning in the states. I get up and pour my milk over them and let them set until they get soggy. Ah, sweet morsels from home! The second mission, I'll get to shortly.

I showered after working out and set out for the grocery store. It was a really nice grocery store, like a small Whole Foods Market. It was really neat to see so many familiar things, British and American. I turned down the cereal isle with anticipation and frantically searched for my Multigrain Cheerios. Honey Nut Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Special K, Kashi, Blueberry Morning. . . no Multigrain Cheerios. I thought that couldn't be right, so I searched again, and again! To my dismay there were none to be found. *Que the sad Charlie Brown music here.* I hung my head and lifted my hand sadly to grab a box of the Honey Nut Cheerios. "This'll do, . . . I guess", I thought.

The second mission was to buy some moleskin. My tennis shoes have rubbed a blister on my heel, so I needed some extra cushion. I assumed before I got to Hong Kong that since it was formerly a British colony everyone would speak and understand English. However, since I arrived, I have learned differently. While I am making my way to the pharmacy I am thinking about how I am going to explain moleskin, given the language barrier. Do they even have moles in Hong Kong? Will they think I am looking for a mole's skin? Maybe I should say it is like a rat, but really moleskin isn't really mole's skin, so maybe the rat approach isn't the wisest. Then I started thinking about asking for a corn or calous pad, but that's not really what I was looking for either. So I decided that I was just going to have to figure it out for myself. I look around and find wart remover pads, corn remover pads, odor eaters, heel protectors, etc. Finally I find something that seems similar to moleskin, it is called Pressure Point foam padding.

So I guess you could say "Mission Partially Accomplished". I am letting my Honey Nut Cheerios soak as I type, and I'll be happy eating them because they are still a little taste of home.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I always loved Honey Nut Cheerios, myself. Sometimes we just have to do the best with what's presented to us and be thankful, right? Does the milk taste different there? Your dog sends a "belching" hello and lots of wet kisses.

tim rush said...

Reminds me of a missionary wife in Portugal that was moved to tears when they started getting Lucky Charms. Funny how little pieces of home can warm our hearts.

One Saturday we planned to play softball in the park with all the youth in Lisbon. When we got there, there weren't enough so they were like, "well, lets just play soccer." I was almost in tears. I'd been so excited all week. Such a little thing but it broke my heart.

Sorry about the cheerios.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to tell you again how much I have enjoyed the posts and pictures. Thank you for taking the time to include us all in your wonderful adventure.

Your kids at Parkway are well, but we all miss you...see you soon!

I am just a little concerned about someone who lets her Cheerios soak before eating them...

The Gearharts said...

I am with Mr Bill. Mushy cereal?...that is what I fed the children when they had no teeth. I won't even let my husband poor milk on my cereal. I put it on with the spoon in hand...ready to beat the soggy monster.

But in reality, thank you for being so faithful about updating us, and taking the time to download pictures. It has been really special. We love you and pray for you.
Amy G

The Gearharts said...

By the way, we posted a blog in honor of you.

Sarah said...

Ok, I only soak my donut shaped cereal like cheerios or grapenut o's. I don't like soggy flakes! I like the way the milk gushes out of my cheerios when I bite into them! It is odd to me that the longer I let them set, the more they reduce. I would think they would swell.

Bill, it is really awesome to hear from you! I miss Parkway a lot!

Anonymous said...

I, too, am a huge fan of Honey Nut Cheerios. The other day I decided to get reg cheerios b/c I thought they would be healthier. By the time I finished putting the sugar on them to make them taste better I realized that they were no longer healthy. I have discovered something better to do with my Regular Cheerios, I eat them with Vanilla soymilk. The milk makes them sweet enough. I was pleasantly surprised. And I agree with Sarah, you soak Cheerios not Corn Flakes.

Gayla said...

Isn't it crazy that you had to travel the world so that everyone could find out your most intimate secrets??? Soggy Cheerios?? Can't say I want to try that but hey, if it brings a little bit of home to you...have 2 bowls! Isn't it funny? Who would ever thing Cheerios would bring you close to home? It is the little things in life that really matter! This proves it!

Anonymous said...

Amy, I must agree with you. Soggy cereal reminds me of the mush I fed my infants. And I can't eat my cereal in a soggy state. I have even been known to throw out an entire bowl of the stuff if it starts losing the smallest amount of crunch. But next time I will be sure to give you a call instead, Sarah!

I have missed checking your blog SO much! We took the boys to Ft. Worth for Spring Break. We went to the zoo and Rainforest Cafe. They had lots of fun. But I sure missed my daily Sarah fix. Let me also emphasize how special we feel when you take time out of your schedule to blog for us little 'ol folks.

Hope you're enjoying your cheerio's--every soggy bite!