Saturday, October 6, 2007

A Brief Update

I am at my parents' house, taking a break to clean up. My mom has been in the hospital since this past Tuesday for a bowel obstruction. They believe it was either caused by adhesions that were chemo or surgery related. Mom had surgery two years ago to remove the cancer from her abdomen caused by ovarian cancer.

Yesterday the doctor decided to correct the bowel obstruction with surgery. He removed about a foot of her small intestine. Apparently this is fairly common in ovarian cancer patients. So far he said there was no visible evidence of the cancer returning. They are sending some fluid they collected to pathology.

She had a pretty rough night last night with pain, and confusion from the medicine they are giving her. We didn't sleep much, so I am hoping today and the following days will only get better. She is expected to stay another week in the hospital.

Please pray for her to have a quick recovery, and that they don't find any cancer cells in the liquid they are testing!

12 comments:

Lisa said...

I'll be on my knees on your mom's behalf.

Sydni said...

Thank you for letting us know so we can pray! Love you all.

Gayla said...

Prayers on on the way. I'll add her to our prayer list at church as well!

tim rush said...

May God bless your family with peace and your mom with great healing.

Jennifer said...

Sarah, may I please ask which hospital your mom is in. Let her know I am thinking of her and love her. I will try to call to check on her. My prayers are with Jana, you and your dad. Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Praying for your mother's health and your heart. You are loved.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I am so glad to hear the news. Your mom has been in my prayers all weekend--as have you. Matthew remembered Friday afternoon about 5 that he was supposed to meet with you and he asked very panicked (you know him) "What About Sarah?!" I told him that your mommy was sick and in the hospital and you wanted to be with her. He said "Oh, that's okay. I hope she feels better."

Our family has kept your family in our hearts. Please let us know if there is anyhting we can do. I will continue in prayer for speedy recovery and a beautiful sample of normal intestinal liquids.

Sarah said...

Wow! Folks! I didn't know anyone still read this silly blog. Thanks for keeping up with me.

Jennifer, she is in BSA room 605.

I appreciate everyone's prayers. Keep praying that she doesn't have any complications.

I am at home now, so it is kind of hard to be away. Mom is the one who is always taking care of whoever is sick, so the rest of us kind of feel helpless now. Who takes care of mom when mom takes care of everyone else? The Lord has been especially good to our family during mom's battle with cancer, and I trust he has this handled as well.

Anonymous said...

Sarah ... it was good to have you back this morning. I'm glad that your mom is doing okay. I can't imagine what it would be like to try and take care of a parent ... but I bet you were an encouragement to all.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I know it was hard, what you were dealing with...but you still found some laughter in your heart this morning. I love your laugh and your smile. Thank you for sharing with us, so that we can be there for you.

Another day in the life of Beau Hart :) said...

Hey! You are all in my thoughts and prayers :)

The Gearharts said...

Just wanted to let you know we are praying for you and your mother. You are a beautiful daughter!
Amy & Jeff